onsdag 20 maj 2015

Review: My Heart and Other Black Holes

My Heart and Other Black HolesMy Heart and Other Black Holes by Jasmine Warga
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Aysel (rhymes with Gazelle) wants to die, and finds a suicide partner in Roman. They both have their reasons to die, but as their decided dates draws nearer, it's harder and harder to remember those reasons.

At first I couldn't really buy that Aysel was depressed, because, idk, it didn't really seem like it, but then again I guess that's kinda the point? Depression doesn't really make sense and you can't always tell when someone has it. And it wasn't grief-fueled, in the same way that Roman's wish to die is, so she's very much not wearing her emotions on her sleeve.

But it was good. I thought the pacing was nice and the story were handled in the best way it could, given the subject. I'm not sure I would recommend it to anyone who finds suicides the least bit triggering, but to anyone else I would definitely consider it a worthwhile read. It ends with hope, and that's how I prefer it.

View all my reviews

True story.

Inga kommentarer: