söndag 3 maj 2015

Review: Champion


Champion
Champion by Marie Lu

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Really, this series continues to impress me. I really didn't know what this book was going to be about, and the plot in itself wasn't the best or most believable I've ever read ... I mean at some point, wouldn't the people get tired of following a seventeen year old who switches side whenever it fits him? I don't know.

And Eden bothered me. I get the appeal of having a character care for a younger sibling (there are certain other characters in other books who would have benefitted from it), seeing this much of him just annoyed me. He was just too good and perfect.

But other than that, I liked this last installment a lot, which is not always (rarely?) the case. In the last book we actually got to hear a bit about the rest of the world - and here he we got to see it too, which was really cool. That whole "turn life into a game"-thing would SO work on me, and it was cool seeing other people's view on the US and learn a bit more about the history. Not enough YA dystopian books have the courage to do that.

The ending (and here be spoilers) ... well, I don't really buy that NO ONE would tell Day in like ten years time about June, especially since like the whole country knew they were dating and shipped them. I mean, June is hardly an unknown person, if she dated Anden for several years and lived with him, and during this time Day never saw or recognized her? Never had someone ask about her? Come on ...

BUT I loved that they took a break from each other and fucking grew up. That was also refreshing from seeing two people fall in love when all the circumstances are against them and it then being true love forever: I definitely prefer a hopeful ending with them both having grown up a lot, though maybe it would have been even better if Day had had time to actually get over stuff during these past ten years. Anyway, a good ending to a good series, that I enjoyed a lot.

View all my reviews

True story.

Inga kommentarer: