fredag 31 juli 2015

Review: The Dinosaur Hunters

The Dinosaur Hunters The Dinosaur Hunters by Deborah Cadbury
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

A very interesting book that I enjoyed a lot. While it does not talk too much about dinosaurs, it's very interesting back story as to how dinosaurs were discovered. I work as a guide at the Swedish Museum of Natural History, and I actually talk about a lot of the things that were brought up in this book, although in a very simplified manner. But now I'll actually know what I'm talking about!

My main concerns are that it's not entirely factually correct, for example it mentions that the biggest dinosaur was 40 meters long, and that's just not true. As far as I know there's not conclusive proof that any dinosaur was bigger than a bluewhale, which clocks in at around 33 meters. Argentionsaurus might be bigger but that was not the dinosaur mentioned. On the other hand, people might have believed that in 2001, so I'll give it a pass.

I did know that the church and religion influenced people and science back in the 1800s a lot, but I don't think I had realized just how much until I read this. While I know there are some people who will refuse to accept scientific evidence no matter how obvious it is, having the entire scientific community arguing that god created this and that and therefore it is impossible to accept what we've just found is just baffling.

Oh, and Richard Owens was a dick. I'm glad he's dead.


True story.

2 kommentarer:

Bam sa...

Hahaha. Först och främst så älskar jag din avslutning. För det andra; MÅSTE läsa denna. Älskar ju dinosaurier och allt runt omkring.

Ell sa...

Haha, tack! Och ja, det måste du! Den finns på svenska under namnet Dinosauriejägarna. :D