onsdag 1 juli 2015

Review: The Scorpio Races

The Scorpio RacesThe Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Didn't read for over a week, which is why it took so long to finish this. I feel like I have a lot of reading to catch up on now, because A WEEK without reading is just terrible.

I wasn't immediately sold on this book, but it grew on me. THe concept is awesome, even though it was pretty hard to say exactly when it was set? I'm guessing early 1900s, based on the fact that the sufragette movement is mentioned, though I'm not sure it's meant to take place during a specific time period at all. Idk. I don't see why it couldn't be set in a more modern time, with less sexism.

Mostly was put me off was the writing, which was very much HELLO HERE IS THE BACKSTORY AND REASON FOR THE PLOT TO HAPPEN almost immeadiately. Just a liiiittle too much telling for my liking, especially since I've liked the writing so much in the other books I've read by Stiefvater.

But it got better, and I really enjoyed it. Water horses are awesome, and having to narrators REALLY paid off in the end, during the race, because we've gotten to know both main characters and we have reasons to root for both of them and I, at least, didn't find it completely obvious how it would end.

I'll say as much as that I liked the ending and that the final paragraph had me tearing up. That always says something good about a book.

View all my reviews

True story.

Inga kommentarer: