onsdag 4 mars 2015

Review: The Dragon Keeper


The Dragon Keeper
The Dragon Keeper by Robin Hobb

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Though I've of course heard the name before, I'd never read a Robin Hobb book before this: before I picked this up, I didn't even know she was a woman. Well, I'll give most things with dragons a chance, and I'm glad I did. Despite taking forever for me to finish, I enjoyed this a lot, and when I finally did read it I had a hard time putting it down.

It switches between different characters, and while I'm not gonna say I liked all of them, they were interesting and there wasn't a single perspective that made me sigh or feel disinterested. Which is rare, for books with heavy multi-POV. But all these characters, different as they were, brought interesting insights and views when speaking.

Though I can't get over the name "Hest Finbok". That literally translates to "Horse Finebook" in Swedish, except horse is misspelled into our most ancient meme (similar to doge). I can't even begin to explain how much I couldn't take him seriously, and that's probably why I didn't hate the guy as much as he deserved. What an ass he was.

I was annoyed that a certain relationship took forever to be properly established, but since it actually was, I'm not holding it against the book. Had it continued to be "discreet" or whatever I would have maybe even retracted a star, but now I don't find that necessary.

The dragons were interesting too. At first I was a bit skeptical about them being serpents and "hatching", because it doesn't sound like something that isn't an insect would do but ... dragons aren't fucking real, so what's to say they don't? It was certainly refreshing.

Will definitely read the rest of this series, which I absolutely did not expect picking it up. Might even go on to read more by the author, dragons or no dragons.

View all my reviews

True story.

Inga kommentarer: