måndag 7 september 2015

Review: The Algebraist

The Algebraist The Algebraist by Iain M. Banks
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I like stories set in space, though I prefer to visit them by the big screen rather than via books. However, I figured it was about time I read more proper sci-fi books, and Banks seemed to be a good place to start. This was a just a book I randomly picked up never having heard of it before.

I did like it, I think, I just had a hard time keeping up. Usually I understood WHAT was going on, but rarely I had any idea why. I don't know if I'm just stupid or lacking in reading comprehension (do I read too many books?), or if it was just too much with all the unfamiliar terms. Then again I read a lot of fantasy, so maybe I can't blame that last part.

My fave thing was the writing. I just really enjoy Bank's writing style, some phrases and sentences were just delightful to read. It might not be Nobel prize worthy prose, but it was right up my alley and for some reason I hadn't expected that. Might have to read something else by him just for that.

Also, random mentions of a girl being bi. First it was just mentioned that a lot of guys were falling for this one girl, and a bunch of girls too, which I thought was nice, but then it got even better when it was confirmed that the girl in question had been with both guys and at least one gal. More of that, plz!

View all my reviews

True story.

Inga kommentarer: