lördag 18 april 2015

Review: Drömgångare


Drömgångare
Drömgångare by Samantha Shannon

My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Yeah, no. I wanted to like this, because I heard it was good and from what I understood of the premise, it seemed interesting. Some sort of faux-Victorian steampunk-ish society with magic. Yeah, I can dig that, I really can.

Except the not the story. Okay, so immediately I was put off by the writing. Some of this might be from the translation, which honestly wasn't very good, but still ... no. Just the way foreign and made-up phrases are introduced and used four or five times before we get an explanation for them (yeah, there's a word list at the end ... NO YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE TO USE THAT TO UNDERSTAND THE BOOK). There's just too many of these phrases and I gave up trying to understand the different types of "voyants" and their abilities rather quickly.

And then after fifty pages we found out that the entire oppressive society was forced upon them by some fucking magical spiritual aliens!?!?!?!?!??! WHAT THE FUCKING FUCK!?!?!?!?!?! Honestly, when it first was introduced I was SURE that it was a dream or something, but no, that's the plot. They kidnap the MC, and the rest of the book is her trying to escape.

I'm just not buying it. Any of it. ANd Paige was just ... I didn't like her. Sometimes I read books and the main characters run into stupid situations trying to save their friends when they absolutely stand no chance and I think to myself "ARAARGGHHH DO YOU HAVE TO DO THIS!?". Paige doesn't do this. In any situations like that she almost always backs out and lets soomeone suffer, and I resented her for it. Sometimes I don't know what I want and this was clearly one of those times.

Apparently there's going to be SEVEN books in this series???? I could read three, three is a solid number and I can give a series I didn't like the start of that much time to improve, BUT SEVEN FUCKING BOOKS!? Sorry, there's just no way I'm going to get through that. I don't care enough for that.

I mean, it isn't a terrible read, it defintely was "ok" but "ok" does not warrant seven books. It just doesn't.

View all my reviews

True story.

Inga kommentarer: