tisdag 20 januari 2015

Review: Räkna med Simpsons


Räkna med Simpsons
Räkna med Simpsons by Simon Singh

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Mmmmm, books about math. I mean, I'm pretty good at math, which means I'm better than a lot of my friends, but that there are those who has gone on to study math and they are obviously superior to me. But more importantly, I *like* math, which is hardly a common opinion.

I especially like books like this one, that makes me realize just have awesome math can be, and how much of a science it is. You're never really taught that stuff in school though, are you? Then it's just 'calculate this, calculate that', with no explanation for how those things were figured out.

This book is about The Simpsons and math of course, and while I'm not a huge fan of Simpsons, I've seen enough to understand it (but, um, who the fuck hasn't?). I can't say I've noticed any of the math references mentioned in this book, but I kinda wanna get my hands of some of those eps just to look for them.

I am, however, a big fan of SImon Singh, so it's hardly surprising I enjoyed the book. He explains science in a really good way, and if you don't understand exactly what is going on, you usually understand enough to keep up with the "story". Which I enjoy. I'll probably reread some of his other books this year, like the Big Bang book or The Code Book, which I've never read but heard great things about.

Anyway, very enjoyable book, whether or not you're into maths or The Simpsons, I'd say.

View all my reviews

True story.

Inga kommentarer: