lördag 24 januari 2015

Review: Gone girl


Gone girl
Gone girl by Gillian Flynn

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

SPOILERS AHEAD

I enjoyed the shit out of this book. Basically by the first chapter I knew I didn't like the main character, Nick, or as I like to call him, Nick the Dick, but hey, I've read so many books where I didn't like the main character that I figured I'd get through it. The thing is though, not liking Nick didn't make me enjoy the book less, which is rare. Usually when I dislike a main character the narrative tends to make him seem so very nice and amazing and have all other characters fawn over him, but not this time.

And then of course there's the twist half-way through the book and for me that made the book even better BECAUSE NOW I HAD TWO MAIN CHARACTERS TO HATE. This sounds like I'm being ironic, but no, I really liked that I could root for a person who was genuinely bad in this book. There wasn't really a good guy to be rooting for.

Plus, let's be real, while she lied about so many things, Desi was actually keeping her hostage, despite doing it in the nicest way possible. Sure, there may have been another way for her to get out of it, and she lied about what happened, but let's not pretend like he wasn't a bad person too. Everyone was a bad person, I loved it.

The ending though ... I don't know. I can't really say that I liked it, but neither did I dislike it. When I can't decide on those things I usually just ask myself: can I accept this ending? Does it fit with the rest of the story? I thought it did, so I'm not complaining about it. But some other resolution might have made me give it five stars instead of four.

Oh, well. A blurb at the beginning of the book said that it would make you want to stay single, and to quote a friend of mine: "i felt like remaining single after reading it. i also felt like remaining single before i read it. but a bit more after." That is the best damn review I've seen.

View all my reviews

True story.

Inga kommentarer: