onsdag 17 december 2014

Review: Sju jävligt långa dagar


Sju jävligt långa dagar
Sju jävligt långa dagar by Jonathan Tropper

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I didn't enjoy this book nearly as much as I thought I would. The back says that it is oh so funny and oh so sad, but it really wasn't that to me. I suppose the premise was sad, and the main character spend the entire book being sad, but I wasn't particularly sad reading it. The dude had most of what happened to him coming, he was a complete dick and annoyeed the shit out of me (most of what happened: he surely didn't deserve to be raped, but he didn't seem to think of it that way... but that's what it was, because he said no and she went ahead and fucked him anyway).

Mostly it was gross. Just too many disgusting bodies described, too many gross sex acts ... it wasn't my thing. In the beginning, where he walks in and sees his wife and his boss, he just tries to hard too describe it while still trying to remain cool and unaffected and it bothered the hell out of me. It didn't really recover from that if you ask me.

And the same was true for a lot of other "funny" scenes, they were just trying too hard: it read like something out of a college comedy dudebro movie, and humor in those movies are the worst. Now imagine READING about that. Just ... no.

It didn't help that the MC constantly talked about the bisexual female character as lesbian either. Especially not after we were told she prefers the term bisexual, and the MC then used that with lesbian as if the two were interchangeable. They're not. Fuck you, MC.

On the other hand the book was entertaining and the ending was just as I liked it. Hopeful.

View all my reviews

True story.

Inga kommentarer: