söndag 14 december 2014

Review: Marie Curie: A Life


Marie Curie: A Life
Marie Curie: A Life by Susan Quinn

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Okay, so this took me a month to finish, but that's not because I didn't enjoy the book: it's because my copy is the heaviest hardback I've ever had the misfortune of encountering. Hence I couldn't bring it when I'm out and about, and since I do a lot reading while commuting ... yeah, it took a while.

But when I read it, I did enjoy it - a lot. Marie Curie is fascinating woman, with a fascinating life. Even though I knew basic facts about her before reading this book, I learned a lot of things I had no idea of. Such as her daughter winning a Nobel prize, or her husband dying in an accident (I thought he died of radiation poisoning too).

Since it was set about a hundred years ago, it was also interesting because I don't know much about the every day life during that time period. I definitely didn't know anything about Poland's history, so I learned a lot not just about her, even thought that would have been quite enough. She was very interesting.

I don't really have much to complain about. It told a clear story, from start to finish, and would explain enough of the history and context of events that may not make sense today, such as the scandal. Although, looking at how the world treated Kristen Stewart after her scandal, we haven't progressed as much as one would like.

View all my reviews

True story.

Inga kommentarer: