söndag 23 november 2014

Review: Doctor Sleep by Stephen King

Doctor Sleep (The Shining, #2)Doctor Sleep by Stephen King
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I don't know if you're allowed to say this, but I think this is one of the best stand-alone sequels I've ever read. I think liked it better than The Shining (though I did read this one in slightly better circumcstances where it could actually scare me).

Sure, at first I was like "oh, ANOTHER book with a white male mc struggling with alcoholism"?


But Danny actually dealt with his problems (and he wasn't an author as well) and it was not the most defining part of the story ... or rather, the dealing with it was, not the alcoholism. So it didn't distract me, and I think this speaks a lot about the difference in reading a book by an alcoholic and a book by a recovering one. I much prefer the latter, to be honest.

And it was nice to see Danny grown up. Sad that he (view spoiler), but otherwise he did pretty well. His relationship with Abra is very sweet, and she is kick-ass. I loved that she pretended to be Daenerys when she had to be brave, it was a nice touch.

And the True Knot were fucking creepy, but still good bad guys and never too over-the-top or just weird. I liked them as bad guys a lot, because they were very dissimilar from the problems in The Shining, but they still had a connection to the Overlook Hotel. That was actually something I liked about the book in general: that it was a sequel, a stand-alone one at that, but there were some nice touches referencing back to the first book. But it wasn't really thrown in your face. (Also I kinda liked how King talked shit about the movie in the author's note. I don't really like the movie, especially not as a book adaption)

Yeah, five-starring this one, because during some scenes I was grasping the book so hard and barely breathing I wanted to know what was gonna happen so bad.


(Såklart ville det här inlägget inte posta automatiskt utan ajg fick göra det av mig själv, men det går utmärkt för den att posta GAMLA inlägg till bloggen? Tack som fan, idiot-blogger...)

True story.

Inga kommentarer: