söndag 1 februari 2015

Review: Scarlet


Scarlet
Scarlet by Marissa Meyer

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I liked this book better than the first one, even though most of my complaints still stand. The world building is still very poor, although the world EXPANDING that we see in this one was better. Though a bit more history of this world couldn't hurt.

Other things that annoyed me: the description of how wolf packs work, with the alpha, beta and omega stuff. THEY DON'T!? Wolves live in family groups, with the mom and the dad and all their cubs. The cubs don't leave home until they are three years old so the groups can become quite big. I don't mind that the alpha, beta, omega system is used for fictional wolf-inspired groups, but it is presented as fact that wolf packs work this way and they just don't...

But the book definitely benefited from having more characters, and I think, if the third book deals with the Rapunzel girl from the first book, it'll get even better. Their stories were woven together in a nice way, even though what the blurb on the back said was gonna happen didn't really come to pass until the last 50 pages.

It also wasn't as obvious as the first book: I couldn't figure out the entire plot after just a few chapters. The things that could be guessed (like who Wolf was) was not hinted at in such an obvious way, like Cinder's true identity in the first book. I guess it was better because the author had time to set up things in the first book and take her time.

View all my reviews

True story.

Inga kommentarer: