torsdag 18 december 2014

Review: Onanisterna


Onanisterna
Onanisterna by Patrik Lundberg

My rating: 2 of 5 stars

This book was so far away from me, I just couldn't relate to it. It's about life in a small town, wanting to get away, being a nineteen year old guy who was the king in high school but failed all his courses and now have to take them again to get a passing grade. I'm like ... the opposite of that. And of course, the point of fiction is to somehow get to know different people and their lives, but ... so many of the characters are SOOO dudebro-ey. I hate dudebros.

When Chriss read this, she laughed a lot, but I didn't really do that. A few times, yes, and the humorous situations wasn't as forced as in the last book I read, but still not for me. I also feel everyone got hurt at all times, to a point where it didn't even seem realistic anymore.

The main character was very annoying, but luckily he did grow by the end of the book. I mean, he's 19, I guess I can cut him some slack. Though I had to keep reminding myself of that: there was not much of a difference between him and the 30+ dude in the last book I read.

That said, it was an easy read, and had some good points about being true to yourself or whatever. It wouldn't have hurt if it elaborated on some aspects though, the younger sister's accident felt like it did nothing to the story. The book is short, some extra pages dwelt on that wouldn't have hurt.

Simon was the worst character though. Reminded me of why teenaged dudebros are the worst and why I never want to associate with them ever again.

View all my reviews

True story.

Inga kommentarer: